Friday, July 1, 2016

"Looking Back: Stepping Forward!" Interview with Karen Bankhead


The Ivy Substation
presents
Karen Bankhead
July 10, 2016


Q: How did you first hear about the Los Angeles Women’s Theatre Festival (LAWTF)? 
A: "I believe through Adilah Barnes and her one person show through Valeri Parker-Ross. I also took Adilah’s class about taking your show on the road, and the experience was invaluable!"

Q: How has being a part of LAWTF impacted your life and your performing career? 
A: "I love the fact that I’m a two-time alumni of the LAWTF. I am in great company, and it is a wonderful and prestigious Festival to take part it. Adilah is not only a dynamic actress and writer, but an inspiration as a mentor and teacher. And there’s nothing like having the opportunity to take the stage at awesome venues such as the Ivy Substation and the Electric Lodge in Venice."

Q: What has been your favorite part of your LAWTF experience? 
A: "One thing I love is doing the Wine Down Wednesdays at great places around town for an intimate audience."

Karen Bankhead as Etta Mae Mumphries
Q: What advice would you give for someone just starting out in the performing arts industry, with regards to seeking out opportunities like LAWTF to further their careers? 
A: "I have recommended the Festival to several friends from outside of Los Angeles because it is a warm, welcoming experience that gives them a chance to bring their work to 'Hollywood,' in a highly professional, supportive arena. If someone is ready to showcase their solo work, the Festival is the perfect four-day experience to perform, network and be inspired."

Q: Are there any moments in your LAWTF experience that you are certain you will never forget? 
A: "I am honored to be a past recipient of The Mosea Lee Barnes Writer's Well Competition through LAWTF, and hope to be able to travel to the Writer’s Well Retreat in Georgia one day soon. I always love watching Ingrid Graham dance! And it is awesome to hear speeches and comments by and about some of the legendary entertainers who have been honored by LAWTF."

Q: How has LAWTF helped you promote your show further? 
A: "Adilah and crew do an excellent job getting the word out, so I always hear from people who see me in the e-mail promotions."

Q: What was your inspiration for your solo show (the one you are performing at the Ivy Substation)? 
A: "My show came out of the fact that I got back in town from doing a show Off-Broadway, needed to get back to work, and immediately had an awful audition experience. So, I was prompted to write a show for myself. I was also starting to do stand up and studying at the Groundlings, so it all came together from that. My show, 'The V-05 Experience', showcases some struggles as an actress of color fighting depression, and being inspired to keep her head up so she can let her hair down. I play several characters, but Etta Mae Mumphries emerged from that show as the key character and voice. She is an amalgamation of the great ladies in my life: my mom, grandmothers, aunties, ministers. In a way, I was writing to encourage and inspire others, while encouraging myself."

Karen Bankhead as Etta Mae Mumphries

Q: Any advice on what it takes to create a solo show and suggestions for someone embarking on their first solo show?
A: "Being authentic is key. My character, Etta Mae Mumphries, came out of the fact that I wanted to pay homage to a 'seasoned' woman in entertainment, but my impressions of people like Lena Horne, Ruby Dee, Maya Angelou aren’t the best, so I invented a character. Also, I believe you should strive for being transparent/inspirational, without being self-indulgent. Everyone has stories and experiences, but it takes time and good input/direction to find your rhyme and reason for it all. It’s a fine line, I suppose. Thanks once again for this opportunity. I am honored and ready to have a great time!"

See Karen Bankhead in her one woman show, "Etta Mae Mumphries: And the Rest is History"on July 10 at the Ivy Substation. For tickets, please go to our website, www.lawtf.org 

2 comments:

  1. A hilarious woman. Amazing transformation from foxy lady to little old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE YOU KAREN BANKHEAD!!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete