Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Empowerment Day Interview with Facilitator: Adilah Barnes (LAWTF Co-Founder)

ADILAH BARNES

"Hitting the Road with Your Solo Show" (Co-Facilitator)
"Empowered Women: Crafting a Solo Show" (Co- Facilitator)




Q: Why is it important to be a part of LAWTF’s EMPOWERMENT DAY?
A: As one of the Co-Founders of the Los Angeles Women's Theatre Festival, I am committed to empowering solo artists by presenting them and their works, by offering workshops and panels, training and networking opportunities. 

Q: Have you participated before, and if so, in what capacity?
A: Yes, this will be my fourth year as both a workshop facilitator for our "Hitting the Road with Your Solo Show" workshop and as a facilitator for our "Working Women: Crafting a Solo Career" panel.

Q: What skills do you feel you bring for the role you will offer for LAWTF’s EMPOWERMENT DAY?
A: In terms of the "Hitting the Road with Your Solo Show", I have toured 40 states and 3 continents, primarily in the college market but in many other types of other venues as well (i.e. festivals, museums, galleries, juvenile halls, senior centers, etc.)

What I have learned since 1990, I can share with others to save them some of my lessons and to also strengthen their touring journey.

In terms of “Working Women: Crafting a Solo Career” as one who is just that, I can share how the solo world can be a very successful one, while also allowing other working women on the panel to share how they have mastered the art of working for themselves without a day job. (Coincidentally, it is also through my solo show that I got the down payment to buy my North Hollywood home!) 

 EMPOWERMENT DAY 2015 facilitators, panelists and participants.

Q: Why do you feel it important that solo artists have such a forum for their work?
A: I believe that the more we know, the more we can invest in our work as we map out how we will navigate the solo world as professional artists. I also believe it is important to interface with other solo artists because we are then able to become inspired by and learn from.

Q: What areas will be covered in your workshop/panel?
A: World-toured co-facilitator Vanessa Adams-Harris and I will explore such areas as why tour, voice, identifying market, marketing and branding, contracts, setting fees, working with producers, logistics of traveling while on the road, teching a show on the road, creating collateral materials, and much more.

Q: Anything else you would like to add?
A: I am delighted to share what I have learned over the years with other solo artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment