Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Bravery Is Beautiful

Jozanne Marie is an actor, poet, writer, and advocate for abused women. She is an international spoken word artist and has performed in over a dozen plays, films, and national commercials. Her one woman show, "Beautiful" is poetically conveyed with persuasive narrative and dialogue, which deals with three generations of women. We asked her a few questions about her life and her work, a journey of bravery, survival, and victory.



Your work as an artist has a clear focus on women. Can you explain why creating a support network of strong women is important to you?
Yes, I think for too long, women's voices have been silenced on many issues, especially in the area of sexual violation. It is important to me to create a forum where women can break their silence and own their freedom.

Was your first genre of writing poetry?
Oh, yes. The first time I penned my emotions was a three page poem in my best friend's bedroom.

How and at what point did you decide to start performing solo theatre work?
From the age of sixteen I knew I was going to perform a solo show, even though I had never seen one. I guess God answered my prayers because once I landed in LA a few years later, I had the opportunity to work as an assistant for Tony-nominated actress,  
Charlayne Woodard. Charlayne invited me to her solo play, "In Real Life", and I was completely blown away. However, I had to go through my own healing process before presenting the piece on stage. That took me eight years. Once I was ready, Charlayne took me under her wing and mentored me. After that, "Beautiful" was born.

When writing poetry, is your creative process different than when writing, for example, a theatre piece like "Beautiful"? How so?
Yes and no. Yes, when I write anything, it has to be an issue that I am passionate about. However, right now I am hired to write poems for different events, which takes me on a different journey. I normally sit down with clients, hear their vision, then I pray, and the message comes to me.

Can you explain what your campaign "The Shame Does Not Belong To You" stands for and what methods you use to get your message across?
As a survivor of sexual abuse, one of the main issues I have dealt with is shame. There was a part of me that never felt worthy. It took me eight years to realize I was fearfully and wonderfully made. During the premier of my five week run, I encountered many men and women who wanted to share their secret with me after seeing my show. The common thread I found in each conversation was SHAME. Some people had kept their abuse hidden for over forty years because they felt like it was their fault and found it impossible to disclose to anyone. At that point I believed it was my responsibility to stand up with them and declare "The Shame Does Not Belong To You". It made me realize when we speak out; we give others the permission to speak as well. This was the genesis of the campaign.

Your work is very brave and revealing. What inspired you to tell your personal story?
Thank you. To be honest, I believe it is my calling. So many horrific things had taken place in my life as a child and I guess, the only way from down was up. There were too many people who had similar stories and some lost their minds during the process. The fact that I was still breathing and had a glimpse of hope. I wanted to inspire others to take their lives back. I want anyone who has been through this to know, they have the power to change their story.

Which moments in your play were most difficult to share with audiences?
It was difficult to discuss about being pregnant and having an abortion.

Because of your courage to tell your story, and impacting other women with similar experiences, how has this show not only contributed to your healing, but impacted you in terms of what women share with you after seeing your work?
Performing "Beautiful" is more than life-changing. I am a different person because I did this show; it has helped me to overcome the fear of what other people think about me. Also, hearing other people's stories that are different in culture and age affirmed that the human experience is a universal experience and we all are searching for one thing...LOVE. 

What was it like having First Lady Obama in the audience at one of your performances?
It was an honor to know my work was chosen for the event and she loved it. I was on top of the moon.

How has your spirituality and relationship to religion allowed you to rise above many of your experiences?
Wow, do we have time? LOL. The foundation of who I am is rooted in Christ. This relationship has helped me to overcome my past and given me the keys to regeneration into a new woman. The old me has become a memory and not a constant reality. I am not saying I don't have challenging days. What I am saying is my relationship with God allows me to RISE with new miracles each morning. I am able to see myself the way He sees me, WHOLE. 

See Jozanne Marie in her one woman show, "Beautiful", on June 19th at the Ivy Substation. To buy tickets, please go to our website, www.lawtf.org

1 comment: