Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Just As She Is

Florence LaRue is the only remaining original member of the legendary six time Grammy-winning group, The 5th Dimension. When she is not performing on prestigious stages worldwide, Miss LaRue's busy schedule includes speaking publicly, completing her book, and performing her one woman show, "Just As I Am". We asked her a few questions about her successful career and her current endeavors.





Having founded The Fifth Dimension almost 50 years ago, what inspired you to write and perform your own solo work?
I was inspired to write and perform my one woman show by the many people who asked me to do so! After performing it, quite a few women told me how my story encouraged them to have hope and to believe that age is not a hindrance to fulfilling the dream that God has placed within them. It also made me realize and be thankful for the blessed life I have had and to not take it for granted!

How is performing solo different, in your experience, than performing in a group?
While there is more freedom to make changes (in the script, songs, costuming, etc.) in a solo show, there is also more responsibility!

When was the moment you realized you were passionate about performing?
I realized I was passionate about performing when I starred in the musical, "Mo Magic", in Canada and enjoyed it despite the hard work required!

If you were to offer one piece of advice to aspiring performers, what would it be?
The one piece of advice I would give to aspiring performers is to continue studying your craft, even when you are successful. There is always something you can learn. (I still take vocal and acting lessons!)

Which moment in your show has challenged you the most to share with audiences?
The most challenging moment in my show to share with others is how my career affected my relationship with my son! It is very personal, emotional, and heartfelt. We are both very private people and are still working some things out!



See Florence LaRue in her one woman show, "Just As I Am", on June 19th at the Ivy Substation. To buy tickets, please go to our website, www.lawtf.org







 

No comments:

Post a Comment